diver.net

OML 120 Reef 1/30 AT NIGHT!!!!

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lee on January 31, 2009 at 16:54:25:

Date: 1/30/09
Dive Location: OML 120 Reef at NIGHT!!!!
Buddy(ies): Angelique / Steve / Gerry
Time: 8:17 pm.
Bottom Time: 1 Hr 13 Min
Max Depth: 33 fsw
Vis: 15-20 Feet
Wave height: 0-1 Feet
Temp at depth: 55 F
Surface Temp: 68F

We have been talking about this dive for at least 3 years. Last night, with the conditions being perfect, we finally got around to diving Old Marineland at NIGHT!!

I met up with Angelique and two new divers (to me) Steve and Gerry outside the parking lot because it was chained off for the night. The air was warm and there was almost no breeze at all. We all suited up and started to make our way down the long dark trail. To be honest with you, it was actually easier then I thought. With only a sliver of the moon out and the sky as clear as a bell, navigating the trail was not too hard. The warm temperature plus a long walk in an 8mm suit was something else though….lol

When we reached the cove, it was Lake Pacifica. We all hit the water without any issues and started to kick out to the point. On the way out we noticed how clear the sky was. The stars were out in full force; Orion and Cassiopeia where bright in the sky and it was both a surreal and calm feeling at the same time. After talking about or plan at the surface we all dropped at the point. The visibility was just OK at first. There were particles in the water but as we moved forward going 120 degrees, it got a lot better.

Diving a reef at night is not something we do here in the South Bay that often. Our beloved mud hole Vets is our normal destination. This dive at night is a wonderful diversion from the norm.

As we worked our way between the rock structures, we noticed the normal critters the reef has to offer but things seemed much more active at night. As far as Nudis go, White Spotted Doris were everywhere. Also sighted were Spanish Shawls, Hermisendas and a tiny San Diego Dorid.

Towards the end of the dive we spotted a huge Horn Shark. He must have been at least 4 feet. It was amazing to see a shark so close up and taking it’s defensive posture. This guy puffed up stood on it’s front fins and just stared at us until we got too close and he took off. I was able to get a short video so check it out.

Below are some pictures from the dive. It’s not my best work but some came out OK:

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to