diver.net

Re: They must have forgotten a lot, then

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jerry on March 17, 2009 at 20:20:24:

In Reply to: They must have forgotten a lot, then posted by Walt on March 17, 2009 at 11:38:59:

Walt, Tell us how you really feel! :>) I have to admit, I feel as frustrated as you about this incident however we need to wait and hear all the facts. Hopefully we will be able to obtain VHF recordings of the incident. (public record) It seems clear cut that in a diving related accident, put the diver in the helicopter and take him the damn Chamber! Sometimes it isn't that easy. When an accident happens offshore it's a no brainer so to speak.... Coast Guard helicopter picks up the victim and transports to Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber... done deal. When its on or near the mainland that scenario can change.... not all mainland Hyperbaric facilities (assuming Catalina Chamber is full) can accept the CG helicopter due to it's size necessitating either a drop off landing point to transfer the victim by ambulance or a different helicopter such as LA County Fire...clock ticking....If the diver needs advanced medical care (sever embolism etc.) and there isn't a Paramedic on the transport Helicopter it may have to go back to Air Base L.A. to pick one up....clock ticking..... if a C.G. helicopter isn't available for transport (on another run etc.) and a L.A. County Helicopter is dispatched it may have to pick up the required gear (life jackets, life raft, etc.) to make the crossing to Catalina....clock ticking! I doubt that any of these things played a part in this emergency but its not always a clear cut case. Hopefully we will find out the facts soon and if mistakes were made, facilitate changes so it doesn't happen again.

Capt. Jerry

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.