diver.net

Re: Re: My thoughts on marine protected areas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by commonsense on April 18, 2009 at 01:52:23:

In Reply to: Re: My thoughts on marine protected areas posted by Chuck Tribolet on April 17, 2009 at 23:48:07:

"When the the difference
in size and abundancy of rockfish is stunning between Pt. Lobos
State Reserve (protected since 197something) and very similar
habitat a mile away (or anywhere else in Monterey or Carmel
Bays), it's really clear that reserves work."

How big is Point Lobos compared to the rest of the coast line? How much biomass does that contribute? Would it be nice if the fishing regulations are made more sensical and there is money in enforcement (and water quality remedy) so the remaining 80% of the coastline is also healthy? That's where the money should go.

The MPA is about increasing biodiversity and restoring stocks. You didn't answer my question about salmon because the answer is the Marine Protection Act couldn't protect the salmon in any case. And I wouldn't be dancing about anchoring and power-boating in reserves just yet. If the activity disturbs marine mammal feeding/sleeping/foraging, then it is against the spirit of a reserve. Zipping through a kelp bed with an outboard or tossing an anchor and chain will provide ammo for injuction one day in reserves. Not from DFG, but from some outside environmental group. Why wouldn't they?

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to