diver.net

Makes me homesick for Lake Castaic

Scuba Diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by divinotter on April 20, 2009 at 15:21:55:

In Reply to: Re: Anyone ever dive Big Bear Lake? posted by Max Bottomtime on April 20, 2009 at 14:23:18:

I really enjoyed the couple days of set up - then helping out with the course for LA county ADP. Not as much altitude as Big Bear. Water is very warm in Castaic too,and it's very shallow (15 - 25 ft)where the course for ADP was. But there's just something about low vis (1-5 ft) and looking for stuff on the bottom- even if you already know where it's supposed to be. Finding things is such a thrill and You know you aren't going to be seeing much - so there's no rush. Too bad they don't do it any more (this is the first year of no more Castaic). Where else can you get lake experience with instuctors (lots of them)to oversee it. I guess my question is where else do you get the experience Terry May was talking about in California (not Utah quarry diving)to even try these kind of freshwater dives. I agree with the Sheriff who said people can get into trouble really fast without enough experience/knowledge of just what they're getting into- I know the sheriff search and rescue and FBI still use the lake for practice - I bet they use Big Bear for that kind of thing too- But other than joining a volunteer search team there's no-where to get experience.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to