diver.net

STUPID, STUPID, STUPID!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patrick on May 19, 2009 at 07:44:13:

Stupid, Stupid, Stupid!

I made a really dumb, tyro error this past Saturday and I’ll bare my soul here in the faintest of hope that it might be rectified.

Captain Doctor (Doc of the Bay) and I launched the Kate out of Cabrillo and headed out for the Horseshoe. First stop was at the Olympic, primarily to check vis and based on that, decide which direction to go for the rest of the day.

The surface vis was a wonderful and encouraging 30+ feet, but on descent, right about 40 feet, the vis closed down to about 6-8 feet and DARK. Bottom opened up a bit to 10+ feet, but dark and cold at 49-50 degrees.

The decision was made to head west and a bit deeper, and on the rock piles there we found better visibility – 25-30 feet – but still dark and cold with a dearth of sea life save for nudies on the invert side, and the ever-present Chromis hovering mid-water. Last dives of the day were again shallower – 75-feet, but the vis had not improved with the incoming tide as we had hoped. We called it a day, and here is were I went brain-dead.

Conditions had been benign all day. Just about no wind and a mild long duration swell generally from the west. As I got out of my gear, I draped my wet suit top over the rail - I SOOO KNOW BETTER THAN THIS – and it was still there when we started in - it was not there at the half-way point between Angles Gate and the launch ramp. Several sweeps back along our course never turned it up. There were a load of small and large craft, and my belief is that someone snagged it out of the water soon after it went in.

So, since I no longer have my wetsuit top, I’m writing this wearing a hair-shirt and mentally flogging myself for this stupid mistake I made, and hoping that someone might have found my wetsuit top and is on this board.

Feel free to jump on and point out my poor judgment (no judgment!) in this instance.

Stay wet, dive safe, and for god’s sake don’t do what I did!

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to