diver.net

My Annual Laguna Beach Dive

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on May 22, 2009 at 16:04:43:

After the reports of 20-25 feet vis the past couple of days I wanted to make my annual Laguna Beach dive this morning. We duct-taped snorkels to the back of our tanks and found parking close to the new stairs. The surf was low, so I was hoping for a great dive. Before reaching the Crevice, a free diver asked me to retrieve his fins and pole spear that he dropped. I had to search a little, but located them about twenty feet away. The visibility over the sand was barely more than a body length. I hoped it would pick up inside the reef.
We spotted the usual Hopkin's Rose nudibranchs right away, plus the Porter's chromodorids reported yesterday. The surge was so strong at times that Merry was unable to shoot video. I had to push my shutter before I was ready a few times. I normally take between 125-150 images per dive, but I was lucky to take 40 today.
We fought our way through the tunnel back to the beach and headed straight in. Visibility was about six feet inside the reef. Water temp was 58F. Hopefully my 2010 Laguna Beach dive will be better.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow Ups:

Name: