diver.net

Re: Private Boat to Catalina

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JamieS on May 26, 2009 at 21:17:23:

In Reply to: Private Boat to Catalina posted by Chuck Tribolet on May 26, 2009 at 20:49:08:

Chuck,
Getting a mooring is very simple, yet in August, a little bit difficult. To get a mooring, you simply pull up to the front of the harbor and talk to the captain of the patrol boat on duty. There are no reservations taken. If there is a mooring for your size boat, you get it. If not, you are out of luck.

The hard part comes in mid summer. As I said above, the moorings are first com, first served. So, in mid summer if you want one on the weekend, your best bet is to arrive on Tuesday or Wednesday and stay till the weekend. Since you won't be staying on the boat, you will probably be alright with an "outside" mooring. These are in the outer areas of the harbor, near Descanso Beach and the Hamilton Cove condos. These moorings are not as protected, so they can get a little bumpy (Who cares if you're not sleeping there)

I'll let others give you the diver friendly lodging, but I always like staying at the Hamilton Cove Condos. They are a bit more expensive, but come with a golf cart for getting around town. (and you may have your boat moored right nearby)

As for getting over there in your Whaler, it should be really easy if you travel early in the morning during the summer. On the water in Long Beach/San Pedro and departing before 7am during "normal" summer weather should make for an easy crossing. The same for the return. Early is usually flatter.

Good Luck!

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.