diver.net

Re: Private Boat to Catalina

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by seahunt on May 27, 2009 at 18:37:51:

In Reply to: Private Boat to Catalina posted by Chuck Tribolet on May 26, 2009 at 20:49:08:

So you're gonna go Catalina are you? Do you feel tough enough???? You and the Admiral have
enough salt in your viens??? Well do ya skipper???

I wouldn't worry about whether your whaler is adaquate really. This is a boat I went to
Catalina in many times. Yer talking 4 inches of freeboard. It wasn't my favorite boat for
the way back. ... It was a short trip in calm weather though.

Actually, that is the oddest thing about boating the islands verses up north. Up north
when you go out, if it's rough, that is what you are going to have to deal with and the
diving is likely to be poor. If you go out down here and it is poor, it is likely to be
worth continuing, because it will get good at the island.
You go in the morning calm because you are going into the swell. The way back is going to
be larger and there will be whatever afternoon winds there are, but you will be going with
the waves and wind.
Just look out for sage.

For ground info I recommend looking at this report. It was their first visit and so gives
a good perspective as well as a lot of info that might help you.
Gillyweed_girl and

scubadobadoo finally check out Catalina . A Great Dive Guide.

Do you want to see a gazillion fish? Just south of Avalon is the fish reserve where the
glass bottom boats go by and feed the fish everyday, all year. It is only for free diving,
but it's fun.

Catalina is not my favorite dive destination. The best diving is most places is in less
than 35 feet of water. Plan your dives as shallow or a spot that specifically offers
deeper diving like Ship Rock, Farnsworth, Eagle Reef, etc. The shallow diving is good, it
is where California sport diving started, but dive shallow or plan your spot to dive
deeper.
Church Rock is a good dive area down towards Avalon end. It's a big reef. It's where I got
bit so I remember it better than some spots.

I highly recommend Ship Rock and Eagles Reef. As others have said there is a lot to be
said for the Isthmus. For a bit of challenge you can try the Isthmus High Spot... Lions
Head is good.

Oh yah, the sage. Later in the season if you smell sage, it means that the Santana winds
are dropping. Instead of reaching sea level 60 miles out, sometimes they drop closer to
shore. Then you look out.

Get to Anacapa if you get the chance. The diving is better than
Catalina

Enjoy the diving and have fun, seahunt

This is Pinky, a 16 foot 1956 Chris Craft. It was pretty flat on the bottom, but we went
to Catalina and Anacapa in it many times.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to