diver.net

Re: Not to target any one group of people...

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tao H on June 06, 2009 at 11:43:58:

In Reply to: Not to target any one group of people... posted by Eric S on June 05, 2009 at 10:46:46:

I agree that the punishment for poaching has not been enough to deter the actions of many of these individuals. Especially the repeat offenders. I like the idea of making these individuals being forced to work for the state. California pays about $35k to annually keep a prisoner after all.

I think seahunt has said it best as far as respect for the law is concerned in the different cultures. Among the Asians, I find it occurring more often among those who've immigrated to the US than those who've grown up or spent much of their lives here. Some individuals may come from backgrounds where the risk is worth taking and there are those who try to cheat the system in whatever aspects of business they may be involved in. Ultimately, I think it's just greed and the opportunity just allows for this to happen.

I can tell you from the articles regarding abalone poaching that I run into, the Asian names I see are most often Vietnamese, Chinese, Korean, Mien and Hmong; if there are others, I've forgotten them by now.

The thought does cross my mind every time I see or talk to Asians diving for abalone whether or not they're in the funny business and sometimes I myself wonder if people think the same when I'm out there diving. I guess it comes with the territory.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to