diver.net

Re: Chamber Day obmination

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike on June 11, 2009 at 11:55:03:

In Reply to: Chamber Day obmination posted by Denny Crane on June 10, 2009 at 08:46:09:

You know, I feel for anyone who gets so worked up over an issue that they have to post something like this. If read closely, this person does not even admit to being a participant. And the best "evidence" of any issues regarding the event are a few "I heards" or "I read". And as far as the "Ominous" weather forecast (which did not change much from the weekend before until that day)- I've been on boats-yes some that cancelled chamber day- that have gone out on days with much worse forecasts. And not cancelling was not a commitment to go- the captains all have the opportunity to cancel the day of the event for safety reasons. I don;t know any reasonable person that would not understand that. I've had trips cancelled, not been able to go where scheduled, etc because of the weather. Stuff happens. This is just a sad and pathetic attempt to stir the pot.

The bigger picture is the continued fracturing of the diving community because of the internal politics, most of which are issues that the average diver could care less about. Yet this infighting could destroy what we have: a selection of dive boats and operations that serve our needs well here in So.Cal. Sure money's tight: the bad operations will go away, the good will survive. That is free enterprise. But the entire industry could fail if all this B.S. doesn't end.

It is understandable that the boats will be competitive with each other. There is a limited market. I know it's naive to think that this could all go away. But unless the boat owners and operators figure out a way to get along, they may find a growing number of divers fed up with it all, and either beach diving, or dropping the sport all together. You want my business? Woo me with a safe trip, a clean boat, nice dive spots, good food, a pleasant crew, and a fun time. If I have a good time, I'll let others know. If not, I'll try someone else next time. THAT is how business should work.

And has already been mentioned, until someone else comes up with a plan that supports the Chamber and is willing to MAKE IT HAPPEN, or can prove any of the shallow claims about the event or it's organizers, I'll keep supporting the event so that we all have a place to go should something unfortunate happen.

Sorry for the rant. Tired of the BS. Just want to Dive.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to