diver.net

Re: Terranea review

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on June 14, 2009 at 13:21:28:

In Reply to: Terranea review posted by Jeff Shaw on June 13, 2009 at 20:20:58:

I don't think I've ever disagreed with Jeff, even when he comes up with hair-brained ideas, but I have to toss in an opposing viewpoint here. I've been snorkeling and diving Marineland since it closed and have gotten a lot of enjoyment out of being there, especially when I had the place to myself. I was as disappointed as anyone when Lowe's was allowed to begin construction, however I have come to appreciate the changes.
We now have a walk to the water equal to the original distance. After a couple years of hiking from the temporary lot it feels great to not be worn out by the time you reach Jeff's Rock. Our old restrooms (bushes) have been replaced with real ones, and although rinsing gear with the hose I placed there in the 80s wasn't bad, we now have a shower next to the restrooms/snack bar as well as picnic tables to relax and look out toward Catalina where the old plateau once was.
The hotel, casitas and restaurants are all Mediterranean style, much the same as you'll find all along the coast of SoCal, and the Mediterranean. It could be a lot worse.
Imagine if the land had been sold to developers who parcelled it out for private homes and condos. We would have limited access with street parking, no facilities and angry residents like Laguna Beach.
I miss having the place to myself sometimes, but diving access at Terranea Resort is still better than climbing up and down the goat trails of Palos Verdes or diving in Laguna Beach. I saw two divers there today using a wagon to haul their gear, so it looks like the Bottomtime Buggy may get some more use after all.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to