diver.net

That's all well and good...

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steven C on June 19, 2009 at 09:36:55:

In Reply to: Re: An analyst's point of view. A new Issue. posted by Carlos L. on June 18, 2009 at 00:33:05:

Carlos:
If in fact the shop trips are geared toward students, then the effort put into those trips is a part of the fees charged for their certification. And, the extra income from those students, for gear rentals and purchases, more than offsets the 4 Instructor/DM participation.
And, I spend a lot of time on one of the average boats, and the shops which charter it, make a point of packing it as full as possible, to maximize their profit, it's the American way. Make as much money as you can, as fast as you can, and if you have to lie, cheat or steal, as long as you don't get caught...
Don't try to tell me it isn't that way. The last two recessions have proven it true.
And, even some of the divers I know work extremely hard at taking advantage of the boats, by using the excuse that they are working as crew, when all the while, they are in the water on every dive.
So I am going to take the advise of some of these posters, and start chartering a boat myself, for less.
A break even, for a 3 dive day and great food, is a friggin' bargain !

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to