diver.net

Apples Don't Fall Far From Their Trees

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Walt on June 22, 2009 at 13:21:36:

In Reply to: Re: The Seaweed Rebellion: North Coast Enviros Battle Schwarzenegger and Big Green Over MLPA posted by Chris Knight on June 20, 2009 at 12:39:13:

Frankly, I'd far more trust the local citizens of Point Arena and Mendocino County to decide local resource management than the Sacramento-centric enviro's and special interests that are abundantly represented on this panel.

I wondered who was on this 'blue ribbon panel' - and I feel that something stinks like a day old fish in the sun. You have to ask whose interests are being served by representatives of:

- A marina management group (there isn't a marina in Point Arena area... yet)

- a marketing consultant (Golding Group... sales job)

- Western States Petroleum (WTF does this petrol group have to do with fishing? hmmm... but there is a lot of oil off Point Arena)

- a real estate development company (here come the yuppies)

- and a few 'public' types thrown in for a good mix (LA's natural history museum, Stanford).

Don't see anyone I'd expect to see like from the Sierra Club, Surfrider, Heal the Bay, etc. Here's the list, decide for yourself:

California Marine Life Protection Act Initiative
Members of the MLPA Blue Ribbon Task Force
August 2008

Don Benninghoven (chair), retired as executive director, League of California Cities and City-County School Partnership

William W. Anderson, President, Westrec Marina Management, Inc.

Meg Caldwell, Director and Senior Lecturer on Law, Stanford Law School's Environment and Natural Resources Law & Policy Program

Susan Golding, President and Chief Executive Officer, The Golding Group, and Former Mayor, City of San Diego

Dr. Jane Pisano, President and Director, Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County

Catherine Reheis-Boyd, Chief Operating Officer and Chief of Staff, Western States Petroleum Association

Gregory F. Schem, President and Chief Executive Officer of Harbor Real Estate Group

I don't feel that a land grab / oil production foothold is all that far-fetched and I hope the people of Point Arena have their say - local government knows best, as it has to react to the will of the people!

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to