diver.net

Apples Don't Fall Far From Their Trees

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Walt on June 22, 2009 at 13:21:36:

In Reply to: Re: The Seaweed Rebellion: North Coast Enviros Battle Schwarzenegger and Big Green Over MLPA posted by Chris Knight on June 20, 2009 at 12:39:13:

Frankly, I'd far more trust the local citizens of Point Arena and Mendocino County to decide local resource management than the Sacramento-centric enviro's and special interests that are abundantly represented on this panel.

I wondered who was on this 'blue ribbon panel' - and I feel that something stinks like a day old fish in the sun. You have to ask whose interests are being served by representatives of:

- A marina management group (there isn't a marina in Point Arena area... yet)

- a marketing consultant (Golding Group... sales job)

- Western States Petroleum (WTF does this petrol group have to do with fishing? hmmm... but there is a lot of oil off Point Arena)

- a real estate development company (here come the yuppies)

- and a few 'public' types thrown in for a good mix (LA's natural history museum, Stanford).

Don't see anyone I'd expect to see like from the Sierra Club, Surfrider, Heal the Bay, etc. Here's the list, decide for yourself:

California Marine Life Protection Act Initiative
Members of the MLPA Blue Ribbon Task Force
August 2008

• Don Benninghoven (chair), retired as executive director, League of California Cities and City-County School Partnership

• William W. Anderson, President, Westrec Marina Management, Inc.

• Meg Caldwell, Director and Senior Lecturer on Law, Stanford Law School's Environment and Natural Resources Law & Policy Program

• Susan Golding, President and Chief Executive Officer, The Golding Group, and Former Mayor, City of San Diego

• Dr. Jane Pisano, President and Director, Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County

• Catherine Reheis-Boyd, Chief Operating Officer and Chief of Staff, Western States Petroleum Association

• Gregory F. Schem, President and Chief Executive Officer of Harbor Real Estate Group

I don't feel that a land grab / oil production foothold is all that far-fetched and I hope the people of Point Arena have their say - local government knows best, as it has to react to the will of the people!

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to