diver.net

Dry Spell Is Over

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on July 29, 2009 at 20:48:49:

I finally got in a dive after 24 days out of the water. For most of the month I drove my gear to New Marineland, only to turn around and go home. I even considered diving at Vet's on Sunday but I saw a few overhead waves. A teen was killed in Manhattan Beach when a wave swept him under. I was beginning to think the conditions would never improve.
Fortunately the waves were down to two feet today. The cobble beach at Marineland is now covered with small rocks, thanks to the surf of the past week. Entry and exit was pretty easy, but surge and biomatter made photography next to impossible. I took 89 shots but saved only one marginal shot. Oh well, at least I got in.
We dropped in the sand and immediately a school of mackerel surrounded us. Nursery school was open as well. Juveline senoritas, blacksmith and calico rockfish darted through the kelp. I even saw a black croaker for the first time at Marineland.
We stayed shallow this time, so we enjoyed the tropical 63F water. That's a rarity at Marineland. We fed Abby. I think he's lost weight since I've been dry.
Photobucket

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.