diver.net

Pesky Orange Fish

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on August 01, 2009 at 10:22:02:

Merry needed a Garibaldi picture for a project and after five years of underwater photography I didn't have any. I tend to avoid them. I told her that if she wanted a Garibaldi, we needed to go to Catalina rather than Marineland. I had the day off work yesterday, so off we went.
We had good visiblilty for the first dive, better than thirty feet, which is twenty more than we're used to. I saw a Halfmoon cleaning station for the first time. A single rock wrasse and senorita worked over a dozen halfmoons. I was surprised to not find any moray eels. I used to find dozens on each dive years ago.
Another surprise was finding a few Garibaldi nests below the thermoclines. They usually nest in the warmer shallow water.
Between dives, we chatted with Dr. Bill, Derek and Debbie Karimoto and their two offspring. The wind picked up an bit and the water was choppy and dirtier for the second dive. Visibility was down to fifteen feet or less in places. We finished off the day with ice cream from Big Olaf's, the best reason to visit Catalina Island.

No divers left at the end of the day
Photobucket

Obligatory Garibaldi shots
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

This nesting Garibaldi on the swim platform had to work to keep his nest clean. It's hard work keeping sea stars out of your neighborhood.
Photobucket

Photobucket

A curious calico bass checks out an octopus
Photobucket

Scorpionfish rests cautiosly on a ledge
Photobucket

Giant kelpfish, blending in
Photobucket

My only macro shot
Photobucket

Goodyear blimp taking off
Photobucket

Camera shy harbor seal with shark bite on his fin
Photobucket

Halfmoon cleaning station
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Derek and Deb Karimoto with daughter Janelle and adopted son Billy.
Photobucket

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.