diver.net

Twenty Arms Of The Death Star

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on August 08, 2009 at 12:26:30:

One of the favorite prey of the Sunflower star, Pycnopodia helianthoides is the Rainbow nudibranch Dendronotus iris. They are not to be found at Marineland currently, but I saw severel dozen Sunflower stars today. I wondered why they were here until I realized that sea hares are mating now. There are piles of sea hare orgies everywhere in the kelp, and sunflower stars near every holdfast. I found one consuming breakfast.
My favorite part of the dive was finding a nudibranch, Facelina stearnsi on Our Lady of the Garden. I put the statue there nearly three years ago and have watched her grow into a healthy artificial reef. She has tunicates in her eyes, bryozoan, anemones and algae covering her body but today was the first time I've found a nudibranch on her.
While feeding Abby I was mobbed by a pesky orange fish. I'll get even with him tomorrow. A flatworm, Prostheceraeus bellostriatus was feeding next to Abby, but the surge prevented me from getting any decent shots.
Entry and exit were very easy in the less than one foot surf this morning. Water temperature was 52F at the Point, with six to eight feet of vis and a good amount of surge.

Click on HD

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.