diver.net

Dive Report: Catalina on the Great Escape : Aug 8, 2009

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chris on August 09, 2009 at 16:56:53:

On Saturday August 8 Kathryn and I went to Catalina aboard the Great Escape. Our first dive was at the East end of the Old Rock Quarry. Kathryn and I were the first ones and we dropped to the sand in about 80 feet. The water was green, with a lot of small particulates, not the best for photography. The water at depth was 57°F. Kathryn has become a master spotter for me when we dive together and she spotted both the Acanthodoris rhodoceras nudibrach and the Pleuronichthys coenosus (C-O Turbot).

Acanthodoris rhodoceras
Acanthodoris rhodoceras

Pleuronichthys coenosus (C-O Sole, C-O Turbot)Pleuronichthys coenosus (C-O Turbot, C-O Turbot)

Our second dive was at Ripper's Cove. The water here was 59°F and still very green. Just after we headed away from the boat I spotted a halibut. Since I had a macro lens I just got it's head. When the strobes fired it swam away quickly.

Paralichthys californicus (California Halibut)
Paralichthys californicus (California Halibut)

Our last dive was at Yellowtail Point, the water was 59°F and green. Here I found a Paguristes ulreyi (Furry Hermit Crab) on the rocks, and then out in the sand I found a Hemisquilla ensigera californiensis (Mantis Shrimp) and a Juvenile Chaenopsis alepidota (Orangethroat Pikeblenny).

Paguristes ulreyi  (Furry Hermit Crab)
Paguristes ulreyi (Furry Hermit Crab)

Hemisquilla ensigera californiensis (Mantis Shrimp)
Hemisquilla ensigera californiensis (Mantis Shrimp)

Juvenile Chaenopsis alepidota  (Orangethroat Pikeblenny)

It was a nice trip the omelets for breakfast and the turkey melts for lunch were great.
©2009 Chris Grossman, diver.net

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.