diver.net

No Great Whites at Marineland, but I did find a snail...

Outer Bamnks diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on August 16, 2009 at 14:46:19:

We had a bit of current at the Point this morning. The kelp was laying flat as we descended so we didn't spend much time looking for nudibranchs. Merry practiced getting backscatter with her new camera while I made a few quick macro shots with the video camera.
I found a tiny Spotted Rictaxis snail, Rictaxis punctocaelatus and when I downloaded the video I noticed a tiny flatworm at the bottom of the frame. The snail was only about 1/4 inch, so the snail was probably too small to see without the stacked macro lenses.
As we made our way slowly toward the Garden we stopped to feed Abby and look for Sandy, his new buddy. I searched on top of the reef while Merry swam around to the other side, where she found him in a little cutout. It's a perfect little home for Sandy. He even had a kelp frond with him.
Visibility at the Point was a chunky six to eight feet, but it cleared up nicely in the cove to ten feet. We were able to see the cobble as we made an excruciatingly slow exit. I had 54F below the thermocline at twenty feet.

Click on HD

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.