diver.net

Diving in shark-infested waters

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on August 23, 2009 at 10:36:57:

We were excited to read Pat Smith's report of the Great White in Santa Monica Bay last weekend, but even more so after being invited out yesterday. Either the shark hung out for a week or there are more in the area. We spotted the dorsal fin slowly moving along the surface, but the shark dived before we could get close. That's what happens when you have four divers with cameras ready.
The diving itself was beautiful. Two years ago, we went to Catalina for Merry's birthday so she could see adult Giant Sea Bass for the first time. For her birthday yesterday we spotted a half dozen or more. Visibility was limited and the fish were skittish. We were only able to get some decent video of a juvenile. Some of the larger ones were five feet long.
The surge on the rockpiles was strong, but Merry had fun shooting video while flying over the reef. When she would settle in one spot she would find nudibranchs, feather duster worms and juvenile sheephead all aover the reef. I found Cuthona divae near their eggs everywhere, then just before the end of the dive I found one actually laying eggs on a hedgehog hydroid.
Last year while diving from the Moby Kate I surfaced to find a Parking For Max Bottomtime sign on the float. Revenge was mine yesterday. Captain Andy is a Spongebob aficionado. He now has a new dive buddy.

Click on HD

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.