diver.net

Re: Subsee?

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Coleman on August 30, 2009 at 10:12:14:

In Reply to: Subsee? posted by Jim on August 30, 2009 at 07:53:22:

I don't use the adapters you mentioned. As a matter of fact, I didn’t even know about them! Many of the images are cropped, but just for improving composition and not for significantly increasing image size. I’ve attached at the bottom the uncropped skeleton shrimp pic as an example. There is a trick that I employ sometimes to make sure I’m getting the most out of my macro lens. With the canon and Aquatica I’m able to dis-engage autofocus during the dive and I also have a focus ring for manually focusing. So, I can manually focus at the minimum distance and then move the camera in until the subject comes into focus. When I do that I know I’m at the full 1:1 power of the lens. That being said, I researched the adapters you mentioned and at first glance was immediately very excited as I’ve always wanted a way to switch to greater macro while on the dive. Here’s a good review of the subsee. http://www.uwphotographyguide.com/reviews-diopters-subsee
Unfortunately, it doesn’t sound like those adapters would work with my 60mm lens setup. My lens already sits a couple inches behind the port glass. I just don’t have enough working room in front of my port with the 60mm to add a diopter. I’m still intrigued though. I could switch to the 105mm macro lens and a diopter, but I really do love the flexibility I have with the 60mm. I may get Susie a 3rd inon lens to play with triple stacking those for more macro.

Uncropped:

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.