diver.net

Dive Report: Bugzilla at Cortes Bank and SBI

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sea Divers on October 08, 2009 at 19:06:16:

On October 6-7, 2009 the Sea Divers went on their first of two bug hunting trips aboard the Peace. Although the weather had sucked for several days it looked like it was going to improve so the Peace headed for Cortes Bank. The twelve hour ride started out bumpy as we left the harbor, but smoothed as the night progressed.

We got in the water for our first dive at 9AM and people immediately began pulling nice bugs. The water was 62°F with over 100 foot visibility.

There was still some large swells, but almost no wind. As the day progressed it continued to calm. After the 5th and last day dive it looked almost like a lake.

Many of the divers contributed lobster for dinner. So we all ate a tri-tip and lobster dinner prepared by Chef Joe

After dinner about ten divers went on the night dive. All who went did well. Almost everyone had their seven lobster limit at Cortes Bank.

After the dive the Peace pulled anchor and headed for Santa Barbara Island.
We started the next morning with a pre-dawn dive at. I saw a large bug, maybe about seven pounds. However it backed into a hole once I hit it with the light. I reached my hand in and could feel the bug, but I could not get a hold of him. I pulled my hand and looked in and saw a large moray staring back at me. I can’t believe I didn’t get bit the first time I had my hand in there.

We did four dives at Santa Barbara. Every dive a few people got bugs, but the pickings were very sparse. The heavy trapping last year seems to have taken its toll. There were many traps already set out all around the island.

The 23 divers on the trip managed to pull total of 227 lobster for the two-day trip. The weather and conditions were far better than anyone expected and it was another great Sea Divers trip.

To see all of the pictures from the trip click here.

©2009 Chris Grossman, diver.net

P.S. If you would like to join the Sea Divers on their next bug hunting adventure on October 25-26, 2009 to Talcott Shoals at Santa Rosa Island call Skylor at (714)377-8044 or email him at reservations@SeaDivers.org.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to