diver.net

Impressive . . . but

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Kurtis on October 09, 2009 at 09:53:48:

In Reply to: AirJaws Here!! posted by WalterM on October 08, 2009 at 21:16:56:

Very impressive shots. But I'm wondering if I've become too much of a skeptic or if any of the following things are bugging others too. Because this shot falls into the too-good-to-be-true category:

1. Where's the prey? Sharks don't just breach for the hell of it like a whale might. I'm not sure if the behavior's been documented in the Farrallons but it certainly has been documented (first by Chris Fallows) in South Africa. All those times, the sharks is chasing something and coming at it from behind and below at high enough speed to lift the shark AND THE PREY ITEM out of the water. So . . . where's the beef (as it were)?????

2. The pictures are very good and everything - especially the shark - is in focus. And he did this from a paddleboard?????

3. He also says he had the camera inside a watertight housing. How come there's no water or water spots on his port?

4. The shark site estimates the length of the animal at about 8-10 feet. It would appear in the shot that he's breaching at least a full body length above the water. Not sure if the South African guys go that high (and they seem to go more straight up - consistent with a prey strike) than this one does.

5. If the picture was taken in the morning hours, how come the light appears to be coming from the ocean to the land? (Note the shadows and light on the hills behind the cards.) I'm not sure which way this beach faces (I think it's SW), but this light would seem to me to indicate an afternoon shot.

6. And as a photographer, I'm puzzled about his claim that he didn't know he'd shot the breach until after he looked at his shots later in the day. Sorry, if you're trying to shoot that, you KNOW if you had a chance at it or not. Your only question would be whether or not the shot's in focus and exposed right.

There's just something about this that seem too-good-to-be-true. (But pretty impressive shots if they're real.)

- Ken

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.