diver.net

Re: Re: Re: Wetsuits

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by firewalker on October 18, 2009 at 13:50:42:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Wetsuits posted by Eric S on October 18, 2009 at 08:55:39:

I don’t want to start something here, it’s that I think that if a rack Xcel fits you, you are better off with it instead of a custom.
Here’s a couple of thoughts, most custom suit fabricators are using med grade Korean or China rubber for there custom suits. There is a big difference in the rubber. It effects how cold you get ,how much buoyancy the suit has etc. The top end Xcel uses only Yamamoto rubber which is the best in the industry. I have seen a lot of bad rack suits made over the years, but I have also seen a lot of poorly made customs to.
Rack suits usually have better seam welds than custom, because the rack suit patterns are cut out on a machine and not hand cut (the cuts with a machine give you a straighter up and down cut on the material, hand cuts vary).
The gluing of the seams is a beg deal also, it takes time to do it right, if done right the seam should be stronger then the suit material ( you should get better bond with a straigher edge machine cut then a hand cut).
The stitching by the way, is just there to make the suit look pretty, it has no strength value. The seam weld are what wholes the suit together.
You know what you are getting with the Xcel, you don't with a custom.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to