diver.net

Max Bottom Time & Marineland cove divers & Historians & Bibliophiles & ??

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by baha haha on November 08, 2009 at 12:32:23:

Ever so often I check on the relative value of books in my library. I recently checked on "Marineland diver" which is inscribed by the author Jake Jacobs, whom I knew. I was surprised that a few copies are still available after the passage of over fifty years. As expected they have increased exponentially in value but are still some what reasonably priced, about $20.00 for a reader quality book to $100.00 for an inscribed bibliophile quality collector's book.

A little information about the book;

"Marineland diver
by
Jake Jacobs, as told to Sylvia Jacobs
History of the chief diver of the Marineland of the Pacific"

Hard cover, with dust jacket, 178 pages, illustrated with photographs
Dodd Mead & Company, NYC,1960
LCCC # 60-9655

Very interesting book for those of you who would enjoy Marineland of the Pacific as experienced through the eyes of Marineland's first chief diver.

There is very little SCUBA but lots of pictures of the "old Marineland". There are a number of particularly interesting pictures; aerial view of M/L and the then surrounding vacant hills of PV, huge lobsters, and bags full of abalone and Jake in several types of heavy gear.

His personal helmet is of interest..It is a Morse diving equipment twelve bolt one light that was curved around the helmet. The other helmets in the book are of a Miller-Dunn shallow water helmet, type 111, four light, which were always used at Marineland.

One very interesting chapter is chapter #six "Mountain of Purple Coral" describes diving Farnsworth bank in October 1945 - 64 years ago-with heavy gear...It was not dove by sports divers until 1960-49 years ago-(See SDM July 1960,) with the first dive charter in December 1960 by the then very active club the Sea Sabres, off Dick Petter's 42 foot sports fisherman the"Out Rider" ( which sunk a few years later.) The first person to dive the Banks on this charter was Ed Mossbrooke who is now retired and lives in Huntington Beach.--His first dive was to 180 feet, which was a similar dive profile to the other divers that day. It was a wild day....

And thats the way it was.......

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.