diver.net

The Root Of The Problem

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steven C on November 10, 2009 at 05:53:23:

In Reply to: Scuba Training posted by Devil's Advocate on November 10, 2009 at 05:03:32:

You briefly touched on what I see as the real root of any problem with reduced costs and/or requirements. Unfortunately, the people who take advantage of the financial and educational reductions, will come from two general camps of people, who are interested in diving. These camps can be describe as 1) people who are naturally good at most everything they do, because of their own individual desire to understand what they do, and who are driven to do it well. And 2) people who go haphazardly through life, looking for the easiest path to everything. People who expect everyone else to watch out for them. People who put minimal effort into everything they do, and very rarely understand what they are doing. These people are most easily recognized when they are behind the wheel of a car.
Unfortunately for the world, these people are the ones who establish the "Lowest Common Denominator" for all of our societal laws and restrictions. These are the people who will be relatively dangerous at most everything they do. If it's not scuba, they will find some other way to endanger both themselves and the people around them.
The real tragedy is that our society makes it harder for everyone else, in an effort to protect the ones who expect society to protect them from themselves.
Survival of the fittest went out the window for humans long ago. And as a result, humanity is more and more composed of the un-fit.
I recently read an article, which indicated that the FAA is looking at relaxing it's training standards, for getting a pilot's license, in an effor to draw more people into aviation, and bring new economic life to the industry.
In comparison, I would much rather see these people diving, than flying.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to