diver.net

Re: Re: Farnsworth update - still open for business

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Kurtis on November 12, 2009 at 15:20:25:

In Reply to: Re: Farnsworth update - still open for business posted by Mike Meagher on November 12, 2009 at 09:41:17:

Mike Meagher wrote:

"1. They also make it a no take game zone as well. Otherwise the fishing boats will hog the bouys."

Not gonna happen. Don't forget that there is now an entire and expanded SMCA for the area and the spots we dive are only a small % of that. They're not going to make our dive spots no-take. And if a movement for a special closure should come about, the fishing interests will vehemently oppose it on the basis of being able to want to troll for Marlin in the area.

"2. They make the bouys large enough to support the 80' long boats"

That's one of the big issues to be examined in the feasibility study.

"3. There are several bouys, both at the hight spot and also the more westerly deeper spots. Those are diveable to those that have the skill."

Also to be examined in the feasibility study. In their original wording it said "mooring" singular. I made sure that was changed to "moorings" plural. It may seem only semantics but in the regulatory language world, it's huge.

"Perhaps the best solution is to to for now fight this idea totally at this point in time."

That ship has sailed. For two years I've asked (and others have to) for divers to get involved with the MLPA process. Sadly, the diving community has been silent. I have said as recently as a few months ago, don't sit idly by and then when the decisions go against your liking, decide now's the time to fight and complain that no one asked you.

The process is over and this is where we are. Look at it this way: At Noon on Tuesday, Farnsworth was going to become a no-anchor zone which in my opinion would make it a no-dive zone (commercially) for safety reasons. By 5PM Tuesday, the no-anchor option has been removed and a two-step process of (1) a mooring feasibility study, followed by (2) installation of moorings was created. ONLY then would Farnsworhth be designated no-anchor.

So, from my perspective, this was a HUGE victory for us (divers). Essentially, we keep status quo, we can still dive Farnsworth, and there is now an official process to look in to the feasibility of moorings (which has been bandied about for years but never gotten any traction on a DF&G basis). Whether you're for moorings or against them, at least we'll get this thing fully vetted and either do it right and for the right reasons and not do it for reasons that all will understand.

Like I said, HUGE victory for the diving community.

- Ken

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.