diver.net

Divers asleep at the helm, wake up, & thanks Ken

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dave Gaines on November 12, 2009 at 16:45:37:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Farnsworth update - still open for business posted by Ken Kurtis on November 12, 2009 at 15:20:25:

Well yes Ken, you have asked divers for input. Unfortunately most of us who can afford to go diving can’t afford to take days off work to go to these meetings. Perhaps if more divers stood up with you during the MLPA selection process we’d be able to achieve larger No-Take zones.
The first time I went to one of these meetings was a few years ago, before the creation of the Northern Channel Islands marine protection zones. The fisherman were all there early in red T-shirts, sitting right down in front. They all looked really well fed too. A lot of much skinnier divers showed up in blue T-shirts that sported a map of the Channel Islands and a quote that said “Size Matters”. I still wear that shirt to back yard parties once in a while.
Darn those fisherman. Trolling for marlin does not conflict with a No-Take zone on 2 or 3 small pinnacles in that whole vast area of Farnsworth Banks and fisherman don’t need to tie off to a mooring when they’re trolling.
Thanks again for all your efforts. A lot of divers still want to see moorings on Farnsworth Banks to protect all that fragile coral so call me when the next feasibility study gets under way. I’ll bring a few good ideas to the table.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to