diver.net

Re: Divers asleep at the helm, wake up, & thanks Ken

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Kurtis on November 13, 2009 at 13:53:56:

In Reply to: Divers asleep at the helm, wake up, & thanks Ken posted by Dave Gaines on November 12, 2009 at 16:45:37:

Dave Gaines wrote: "Unfortunately most of us who can afford to go diving can’t afford to take days off work to go to these meetings."

Not to beat this thing to death but some weeks (and months) ago, I posted links to where you can send written comments. Steve Benevides, who was one of the diving reps on the RSG, has posted here frequently and asked for feedback - just comments, doesn't require you taking a day off - and has gotten squat.

Steve and I have both screamed as loud as we could over the last two years that there needs to be some response from the diving community on this or we'll get steamrolled. Given the paucity of participation, we're lucky they didn't make the whole ocean a no-dive zone. (That's a joke, just to be clear, but the underlying message is that the squeekly wheel does get some grease.)

But the bottom line is that there's definitely a feeling from the regulatory end that if this is important to you, you'll find a way to participate. The flip side of that means that if you don't participate (in whatever form), that will send a message of disinterest.

And quite frankly, the opportunities have been myriad with the MLPA since the major sessions are webcast, the info's on the website, you can submit written comments (which IMHO are generally the most effective),and you can get in touch with the RSG reps who are supposed to be looking out for your interests and representing your voice.

So I'm sorry, but this "I-couldn't-take-a-day-off-so-I-can't-be-heard" notion simply doesn't fly. You don't need to miss one second of work to have a voice.

- Ken
-----------------------
Ken Kurtis
Owner, Reef Seekers Dive Co.
Beverly Hills, CA

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black