OML 120 Reef 11/22/09

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lee on November 23, 2009 at 14:42:25:

Date: 11/22/09
Dive Location: OML 120 Reef
Buddy(ies): Angelique
Time: 9:09 am.
Bottom Time: 1 Hr 2 Min
Max Depth: 47 fsw
Vis: 10 Feet to 15+
Wave height: 1-2 Feet
Temp at depth: 60 F
Surface Temp: 65 F

It’s funny how little things can pop up and bite you in the ass. After we geared up and made our way down to the cove, Angelique noticed that her mask was broken. This was not fixable situation but the good news was that she was carrying a spare. Then, as I entered the water, I noticed water coming into my mask. Some how the silicone seal got pulled away from the chassis so I had to go in to see if this could be fixed. Luckily, I was able to force the seal around the edge and pop it back in. Two mask failures at the same time! What are the odds?

The double entry was non eventful but timing is still the key with the way the swells are now. On the way out we noticed that the kelp in the cove is starting to disappear for some odd reason, I hope this stops ASAP. We reached our drop point, went over the dive plan again and then began our decent. The vis was pretty bad on the way down, 5-8 feet or so. Even when we hit the bottom, it still was not that great. We then started to kick in a 120 direction and as we got farther out and deeper, it began to open up more.

At about 45 feet toward the end of the reef, we hit a beautiful rock structure that is probably one of the largest on the reef. Here, we were able to hang out for a long while for both critter photo hunting and fish hunting. I was greatly impressed with Angelique’s hunting skills. With all of the years that we have been diving together, this was the first time I have seen her hunt. I can now see that Jake trained her well.

There was a ton of activity in this area so we were both kept pretty busy. When it was time to go back in, the visibility got worst again. However, when we got close to the point on the south side the vis opened back up again to about 15+. We got a bit too close to the rock structure with the surge and all so we had to swing around to the other side and then we made our way back to the cove.

When we got back, we were able to cook up the large sized Barred Sand Bass with the help of Bob and Chris. You got to love a fresh and free seafood lunch right after a dive!

Here are some pictures from the dive. I tried some new grainy low light techniques on a few below.

The Huntress

Follow Ups:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to
help prevent spam bots
from flooding this BBS.
Text Key: