diver.net

Sandy Dunkin'

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on December 03, 2009 at 19:13:06:

Merry and I made another venture out in the sand at Marineland this afternoon. We've had luck the last couple of dives out there finding unusual critters and today was no exception. The first half of the dive was pretty boring. Sand anemones, seapens, sea atars and not much else.

Windmill worms were everywhere, some with an interesting clear appendage, or maybe it was another worm.

While checking out clumps of broken kelp I found my first Acanthodoris brunnea. Better than that, I found my first two!

We had two schools of smelt surround us while we checked out a Mantis shrimp. He didn't seem interested in coming out of his den so we headed back toward the beach. We soon came across a Pacific electric ray buried in the sand. He didn't seem to mind us, but we didn't get close enough to disturd his hiding place.

We exited exactly at a minus tide, which makes it much easier to walk out, as we were standing in mud rather than the usual hill of rocks in the surf zone. Visibility wasn't bad for low tide at twelve feet, with 59F water.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to