Time: 9:44 am.
Bottom Time: 51 Min
Max Depth: 67 fsw
Vis: 10 Feet to 15+
Wave height: 2 Feet
Temp at depth: 56 F
Surface Temp: 65 F

Finger Curling Nudi Explosion Dive With The Mayor

The conditions were beautiful top side today, sunny with no wind! As we pulled into the parking lot we noticed a lone diver suiting up. As we got closer, we noticed it was none other then the Mayor of OML himself. It was great to chat and suit up with Phil; it’s been a while since we last saw each other.

The plan today was to enter at the point and possibly exit there too. When we got down to the point entry area, there were some decent sized waves coming in. I actually do not remember seeing the rocks so covered in water as they were today during the 6.8 foot high tide. The tide helped with the situation of getting in but we did not think coming back would be a good idea and Phil wanted to go back to the cove anyway.

So, off we finned to the end of the kelp to the drop zone. We knew that Phil would be leaving us at some point because he was diving an HP120 and we were using HP80’s. We dropped into some what decent but not great vis. However, we did almost land on two San Diego Dorids. Quickly we all pulled out our cameras and started shooting away.

There were so many nudis out today (mostly Noble Dorids) that it was almost impossible to choose what to shoot first. Angelique and I spent a lot of time in the 50’s shooting the critters and Phil left us to head to the cove. I noticed that we were spending a bit too much time in the same area so I motioned for us to go deeper to find Teds Pinnacle. We worked our way deeper at 180 degrees and bingo there it was. The only issue we had was the fact that we were both running low on air for the trip back. We spent as much time there as possible and then turned 30 degrees to go back to the cove. As you could imagine, we did not make it that far…..Oh Well. We did our deco stop and popped up a bit farther away from the cove then we would have liked.

The swim back was not too bad; the currents were working in our favor. We ran across a boat with urchin divers and said a cordial hello and then kept kicking away. As we got closer to the cove I noticed Phil popping up right near the exit area. Everything worked out perfectly today.

Here are some pictures:

Angelique was so excited to dive that her fingers curled backwards!….lol. Well, not exactly, she actually brought two right handed gloves DOH!

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to