diver.net

Moby Kate Elves Bags Bugs in the Bay – 12/29/09

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Merry on December 30, 2009 at 15:26:50:

It was to be Commodore Andy’s last dive of 2009, and he wanted to enjoy one more bug hunt before the New Year. Since Phil had to work, my plan was to buddy up with Patrick, watch the master in action, and document the efforts of the Moby Kate crew.
As we approached the Marina Del Rey boat launch, I sensed that this trip would be a little different.
Commodore Andy
Photobucket

As we left the dock, Andy entreated the powers that be to grant them a successful hunt.
Photobucket

On the way to the dive site, crew members revealed their own methods to ensure a successful hunt.
Bill Brush, famous for photography and ski hats, sang.
Photobucket

Captain Patrick Smith meditated silently.
Photobucket

Andy danced a jig as a final measure of insurance.
Photobucket

I did what I could to contribute.
Photobucket

It wasn’t long before the first catches of the day were in the bag and on board.
Photobucket

Here’s a shot of Patrick in action.
Photobucket

Topside conditions were perfect. Just as Andy predicted, a mild westerly swell gave way to ripples and glass after the wind changed.
PhotobucketPeriodically throughout the day, the Moby Elf King appeared.
Photobucket

Also, Patrick wasn’t taking any chances on missing his limit. The connection between the elf hat and lobster hunting is obviously proprietary.
Photobucket

Vis differed throughout the bay, but it averaged about 10 ft. with no current or surge. The Fish-of-the-Day was spotted by Patrick – a 250 lb. giant sea bass! And as is his custom, Andy took a calico home to Admiral Gaye.

All divers got their limit. Back at the dock, we conversed with an official from the DFG – a very nice young man who was impressed with the catch!
Photobucket

Back at Andy’s house: A bountiful ending to another beautiful day on the water.
Photobucket

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.