diver.net

Re: Chris, you are so in trouble.....

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by seahunt on January 07, 2010 at 21:30:21:

In Reply to: Chris, you are so in trouble..... posted by Elaine on January 04, 2010 at 16:36:29:

I really shouldn't say this... but of course I will.
Ya know, sometimes curiosity is my defining characteristic.
Long ago, for many many years, back when I had an honest job, before taking up software development, I was an electrician.
Heck, I was the son of an electrician and I started pulling wire when I was 5. I also had two older brothers. Well, you get the
drift. You ever heard of a Ford Model T coil? They pack quite a
punch when applied by a loving brother. Then there were those
friendly, harmless pranks that co-workers so love, like coiling
up a bare wire behind where your head will be when you get to
the top of the ladder (better than tying your shoe laces to the ladder). Then there was the time I was trying to connect that
really short wire and they started betting on how many times I would get shocked before I got it. I don't know how many times
Dale told me to demo out that 3/4 conduit and how many times I reminded him that it was our 277 lighting... before the time I
forgot. It was just a tiny blue flash, but it was in my hand. My hands wouldn't open, so I had to drop off the ladder that time.
On the job, I was sort of the court of last resort. If no one else could or would, hey, sure, why not. Put breaker mounts in a
hot 440 volt, 400 amp 3 phase panel... Any time. Just don't let the mount twist more than about 5 degrees or the job is over.
Then that time I got hung with my hand in the wall and was screaming at Jim to pull the plug. I got loose before he pulled
it. He said "I didn't know you could talk when you are hung up", but it was only 120 volt. Hey, in Venice the squirrels long ago
ate all the insulation off the old pole wiring. Have you ever really smelled fear? Handle those panel wires hot and you well might.
Yah, a lot of years, a lot of hot stuff, a few slip ups now and then, a few screwdrivers burnt off, but who's counting?
So you mention a torpedo ray. I have to admit, sometimes I've wondered... just a little bit. Ya know, that curiosity thing. I
mean, just how bad can a shock from some silly fish be?
Enjoy, seahunt

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.