Buddy(ies): Angelique
Time: 8:52 am /10:48 am /12:52 pm / 2:37 pm
Bottom Time: 42 min / 57 min / 45 min / 44 min
Max Depth: 33 fsw / 58 fsw / 57 fsw / 54 fsw
Vis: 30-50 feet
Wave height: N/A Boat Dive!
Temp at depth: Pretty much 57F all around
Surface Temp: 65F

Caught a lucky break from the family and was able to get on a boat!!!

We drove up to Ventura and stayed overnight on the Spectre. The group of people aboard mostly consisted of the Pacific Wilderness Dive Club but there were a few more from different areas around California. The Spectre is a great boat with TONS of room, nice sleeping bunks and great food. The captain, staff and Divemaster were top notch and very helpful with anything you might have needed. The trip from the harbor to the island was relatively quick. Even with the swell that has going on at the time, the ride was pretty smooth.

In total we were able to do 4 dives at Anacapa:

1) The Sea Lion Spot
2) Inside Coral Reef
3) Parallel Reef
4) Underwater Island

Diving with Sea Lions for our first dive was a blast. These guys were very tame and I could tell that they were very interested in your attention. They love to shoot right at you and turn at the last second. Since there were a good number of divers in the water, the Sea Lions were entertaining them selves for a while. The down side was the reduced visibility in the shallows.

For the second dive we went to Inside Coral Reef. This place was my favorite of the trip. The visibility was outstanding and the rock structures were really cool to circumnavigate.

The third dive at Parallel Reef was shortly after eating lunch. Our bodies were busy processing the food and robbing us of blood flow, thus we got cold pretty quick. The one thing I took away from this area is the fact that there was not that much bio diversity there. Seeing Brittle Star after Brittle Star was not too fun. There were some interesting rock structures but there was a huge lack of critters to find. Maybe it was the fact that I was cold but this place was just OK.

Our last dive at Underwater Island had us going around a nice underwater rock structure. Once again, there was a huge lack of critter. I think with all of the Brittle Stars everywhere, there is no room in the food chain for nudibranc diversity. No food equals no nudis, oh well…..

Below are some pictures from the trip:

Here is a short clip from our first Anacapa dive at The Sea Lion Spot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aovNbP3uJSI

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.