diver.net

I think this is a very poor use of 30K and likely a PR stunt.

Outer Bamnks diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Andy S on May 26, 2010 at 20:37:14:

In Reply to: Toilet Bowl Reef in Malibu is getting cleaned up. posted by Ross-O on May 26, 2010 at 08:41:46:

If they are going to remove “toilet bowl” reef in Paradise Cove, it is really ironic and in my view, not the best use of money. Toilet bowl reef is several hundred toilets all carefully tied together with all the metal removed and laid out in 90+ feet of water. It likely was put there as an artificial reef attempt (as was Tire Reef) but the slick surface of the porcelain has really slowed any marine attachment/growth. However, it is structure on an otherwise sandy bottom. I have seen swarms of juvenile rock fish on it as well as a host of other marine creatures. The porcelain is not leaching out any pollutants that I am aware of. Does it "offend" someones sensibilities to see these? And how many divers have ever been on this spot anyway. Frankly, I suspect the toilets have far less impact on the marine benthic community than a sunken iron ship yet people are clamoring to sink ships as dive sites. Go figure. While it may be good PR to take this out, in my view it is a very poor use of the money. How about spending the money on wardens, taking out more nets etc?

Plus where can I go to the bathroom underwater in Paradise Cove if they do take these out?

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to