diver.net

Where diving doesn't suck!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by WalterM on June 05, 2010 at 21:13:25:

I made three dives today a few miles out of Dana Point.

First stop, about 2000 feet of water. We were hanging for the pelagic drifters. Vis 50+, if the sun would have came out, way better. The vis extended down to 100', possibly more. Current, slight. Cool critters as usual, but sporatic. Compared to others a HoHum dive. They can't all be winners.

Second dive, we moved out further, to about 2500 feet. Same as the prior dive. We did see many tiny fish and crusteacean hitchhikers on the drifters. As MzLinda was about to get on the boat, a large mola mola swam up behind her.

Third dive (always do you shallowest dive last) we moved in to 1500 feet. Top 60', 50+ vis, 60 degrees, slight current, sporatic critters. 60 - 80', milky vis. 80+ feet, 50+ vis, 50 degrees, moderate current. One of my top 50 dive experiances. A ceiling of milk, great vis, and an astroid field of pelagic drifters coming at me. Mostly larvations of something, with jellys, salps and other outworldly critters.

Regular diving this year has been more misses than hit. This bluewater hanging has always been a hit.

WalterM

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.