diver.net

Dive Report: San Miguel Island on the Peace

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chris on June 10, 2010 at 23:09:27:

Last Sunday June 6, 2010 I went to San Miguel Island aboard the Peace. I boarded on Saturday evening, set up my gear and went to sleep. Although the weather prediction was dire, the midnight departure and crossing was so calm I did not even wake.
When I awoke on Sunday morning we were approaching San Miguel Island. Our first dive was at 6:30 AM at Crook Point. The surface was flat calm and the kelp was up and thick.

The visibility was 30 feet. The temperature varied from 50°F at the surface to 48°F at 110 feet.
Here and at all the sites the rocks were covered with healthy Red Abalone (Haliotis rufescens). There were many large 10"+ abs plus scattered juveniles. The 10+ year closure of abalone is making a difference and the density of abs was high enough for a viable breeding stock to help them spread.

Haliotis rufescens (Red Abalone)

Our next dive was at Wyckoff Ledge, a target rich environment for a photographer. There were many small fich including juvenile rockfish, interesting invertebrates, many nudibranchs, and a some interesting pelagic critters. Again the visibility was 30 feet and the temperature varied from 50°F at the surface to 48°F at 100 feet.

Our third dive was at Rain Barrel. Every rock was covered with nudibranchs.

Our last dive was at The Bluffs. I dropped and found several rocks covered with large Red Abalone (Haliotis rufescens). I had a macro lens, so I got a shot of one of the juveniles among the giants.

Juvenile Haliotis rufescens (Red Abalone)
Juvenile Haliotis rufescens (Red Abalone)

I spent most of the dive here taking pictures of the many interesting pelagic creatures drifting about.

It was another great trip aboard the Peace.

©2010 Chris Grossman, diver.net

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.