diver.net

Virtual Dive Site UB88: Yes or Not ?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by eDiver on July 18, 2010 at 17:38:17:

Hi,
I would like to hear form the SoCal diving community about this subject.

As You might know (or not) we have already created virtual dive sites for several wrecks (Yukon, Olympic II, C-53, Spiegel Grove, Prins Willem V, Duane, Bibb and the mighty Oriskany) and I am very tempted to do the same for the UB88 :-) ....

Assuming that I get my hands on the "right" bathymetry dataset (happened before :-)) and assuming I get the coordinates of the UB88 (or maybe I have those already ?) should we spend time and money to create a 3D model of the UB88, create a 3D model of the terrain, put the 3D UB88 in the virtual site and then put everything online so everyone could virtually dive it ?
Should we disable GPS in the site so no-one can see the coordinates ? Or leave it enabled ?

Yes ? No ? Maybe ?

Or, should we create a "fake site" with the UB88 positioned at the right depth (not a secret anymore) but in the wrong location ?

Or should we just leave the UB88 alone for the joy of the few ?

Personally, I am not planning to dive the UB88 for real (too deep for me ... after my motorcycle accident I was told to be careful with my broken bones :-( ) but I would really like to dive it at least virtually.

So, what do You think ?

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to