diver.net

Dive #1500, finally!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on August 20, 2010 at 16:30:36:

I made dive number 1500 today, just as the conditions were worsening around Palos Verdes. We've had such nice conditions all week that I was hoping for one more clear dive. Today's dive was also my 350th Marineland dive.
Merry and I headed for Buchanan's Reef but wind, swells and a fishing boat on our spot forced us to seek shelter behind Long Point. We anchored less than a foot from the north air tank of the platform where we found our first Aegires albopunctatus nudibranch earlier this month. I quickly spotted a mating pair. When I downloaded my photos I noticed a worm on the nudi on the left. I also found a worm on a Polycera tricolor.
The highlight of the dive, however was finding our second new nudibranch of the month. I noticed a tiny white speck next to a corynactis anemone. It appeared to have rhinophores, so I fired off a few shots. It turned out to be a Ring-tailed dorid, Diaphorodoris lirulatocauda.
The visibility was down to ten murky feet, but it was one of the best low vis dives I've had. We even had two jellies float by during our ascent. The water temperature was still 50F.

Despite the nets that surround the platform, life flourishes here.

Every section of rope has several California scorpionfish resting nearby.

Diaphorodoris lirulatocauda

Diaphorodoris lirulatocauda

Facelina stearnsi

Janolus bararensis

Mating pair of Aegires albopunctatus

The worm has turned

Polycera tricolor with worm

Merry's photos;
Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow Ups:

Name: