diver.net

Re: Diver Down Flag is NOT a requirement in LA County.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by scjoe on August 25, 2010 at 17:18:20:

In Reply to: Diver Down Flag is NOT a requirement in LA County. posted by David on August 25, 2010 at 13:34:46:

I believe the county changed its ordinance over the years, although some of the cities that copied it did not. The following is the current ordinance in Manhattan Beach and Hermosa and I believe it is how the original county ordinance read:

“No person shall swim, bathe, or immerse himself in the water of the Pacific Ocean opposite any beach regulated by this chapter more than two hundred (200) yards from the shore except ... (C.) A skin diver equipped with swim fins and a face plate if at all times he maintains within fifty (50) yards of himself a boat or a surf mat, paddle board or surf board upon which there is a rectangular flag twelve by fifteen inches, orange-red in color with a white diagonal stripe three inches wide running from one corner to the diagonally opposite corner. The flag shall be flown high enough so as not to touch the water.”

While the beaches use county guards, many are city beaches.

Odd that you would run into problems. I have never used a flag and never had any one say anything about it.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to