diver.net

Long live the Giants! (giving credit where credit is due!)

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brad on September 03, 2010 at 15:29:54:

In Reply to: Take Black Sea Bass??? No way!!! posted by Ken Kurtis on September 02, 2010 at 17:54:26:

Some months ago i was looking through a West Marine catalogue that i received in the mail. They were aggressively marketing a "vent tool"

http://www.teammarineusa.us/

which is used to puncture a fish for the purpose of relieving the pressure of the expanded swim bladder. The HONORABLE biologist Ed Roberts, who was instrumental in establishing the moratorium on the Giants wrote this article:

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/ocal/archives/j_f_05_16-19.pdf

The points that i argued were that the DFG (Ed Roberts) specifically recommends against venting Giants.

Joe lunch-bucket fisherman has absolutely no training in how to use the tool.

What if the first puncture didn't hit the bladder--more punctures??

Etc,etc,etc...

Venting does more harm than good (barotrauma plus a puncture wound VS barotrauma without a puncture wound.)

It took a couple of months of back and forth correspondence (a thorough research by West Marine), but i was able to convince the HONORABLE Geoffrey A. Eisenberg, CEO of West Marine to discontinue the sales of the vent tool within the range of the Giant Sea Bass.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank the good CEO for his decision to discontinue marketing the device--this is a victory for the Giants.

Good things on behalf of the Giants should to be acknowledged and praised. Any positive comments will be greatly appreciated and will be forwarded to Geoff.

Thank you, and long live the Giants!

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.