diver.net

Giant Sea Bass and a few surprises from Catalina

Outer Bamnks diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on September 25, 2010 at 20:39:20:

We traveled to Catalina with Commodore Andy and Catalina Guerra in search of giant sea bass. As soon as we dropped down we were disappointed at the poor vis. When we saw our first GSB I motioned to Merry that I was not going to turn on the video camera for the dive. Suddenly one of the big boys swam directly under us. I managed to get about 27 seconds of usable video but had to color-correct it just to see the fish. It's my shortest video on YouTube.

We didn't see much underwater worthy of photography. I found a large panamic arrow crab on a black urchin. Merry fired off a couple of shots.

While we were making our first dive, Catalina took pictures of a bald eagle perched rght above the boat at Goat Harbor. We dropped her off at Two Harbors while we made a second dive, and of course she found a buffalo right away.

On the trip home we found a pod of the largest bottlenose dolphins I've ever seen. Many were over ten feet long. We finished the day with a little Blue whale watching off Redondo.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to