diver.net

From my mailbox - Oil Rig Legislation Signed by Governor

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Elaine on October 01, 2010 at 21:22:47:

I do not know the details, but, this sounds like a good thing!! Special thanks to the Sportfishing community.....

SCHWARZENEGGER SIGNS LANDMARK OIL PLATFORM DECOMMISSIONING LEGISLATION TO CREATE OCEAN LEGACY

Ocean Advocates Applaud the Governor for Saving Marine Habitat

and Creating Ocean Endowment

SACRAMENTO, Calif. [Sept. 30, 2010] - California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger signed landmark legislation tonight which will encourage oil platform decommissioning and allow partial decommissioning if it is found to be beneficial to marine ecosystems.

Under A.B. 2503, sponsored by Assembly Speaker John Perez, each offshore platform will be individually evaluated. If partial decommissioning is found to provide an environmental benefit, the legislation provides that any financial savings will be split, with the majority of the money used to create a public trust endowment for reinvestment back into the ocean. The legislation creates an incentive to remove the 27 rigs currently off the California coast, thus clearing the skyline.

"Governor Schwarzenegger and Speaker Perez have joined together not only to save the fish and reefs but also to create an incredible trust fund to help the next generation of anglers," said Tom Raftican, President of The Sportfishing Conservancy. "We supported this program because it boosts resources and recreational fishing. I've fished and dived under these rigs so I know first hand the incredible marine life which is there."

"This is a great day for all Californians who love the ocean," said Raftican.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to