diver.net

Thanks Brad!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Elaine on October 18, 2010 at 20:14:35:

In Reply to: Re: Anchor Damage on Coral Reefs posted by Brad on October 18, 2010 at 18:48:25:

For addressing the heart of the issue and the purpose of the pictures.

I think many people think of "reef damage" as being caused by the anchor, due in part to the whole topic of reef protection being directed at "no anchorage" etc.

The anchor drop definitely causes some damage to the structures below, but it is the confounded chain that has the ability to cause the most destruction, especially to fragile coral environments.

Coral damage is not a good thing, we all know that. However, since some did occur, I felt privileged to be there (with the camera so I could share) the extent of damage that can be caused to a reef.

We weren't the first to anchor at Clipperton, and I'm certain that we are far from the last. We were just maybe the first to be able to show the damage that anchoring in this coral environment can cause. There were many "carved out" sections in the reef and I perhaps clearly understood for the first time why they existed. I have seen the same signs at many other dive destinations in the world - I just never put "cause and effect" together.

I also have pictures which document the site where the tanker collided with the atoll a month before our arrival. That area is now a sandy, underwater beach.......

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to