diver.net

Re: Catalina diving fatality Saturday

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on November 07, 2010 at 16:13:15:

In Reply to: Catalina diving fatality Saturday posted by mark radabaugh on November 07, 2010 at 05:50:03:

Do you know if he was diving from his own boat? He had more than his share of tragedies on that boat.
One of my favorite stories about Steve happened when he and Tim Miller were diving at Cortes Bank. Tim called me when they got back and said that Steve, having his scooter with him, didn't worry about coming up down current from the boat. As expected, his scooter battery died and he surfaced pretty far down current. Unable to swim with all the gear, he clipped everything off, inflated his BC and set it adrift. When he finally reached the boat, they began searching for his gear. No luck.
I told the story to my friend Colin at the dive shop. He asked me if I was kidding, because a fisherman had come in earlier who found the gear at Cortes. I called Tim back and he got Steve in touch with the fisherman. Unfortunately, the fisherman was also a diver and knew what the gear was worth. He wanted four thousand dollars to return it! Steve was able to talk him down to about half that, but I couldn't believe such jerks are out there.
When Tim died, he was the second fatality from Steve's boat.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to