diver.net

underwater sea scooters

Outer Bamnks diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Julie Maurer on December 09, 2010 at 00:29:14:

Does anyone know anything about sea scooters?

I'm thinking about buying a see scooter and went to Amazon.com to price them out. I read some reviews on the Sea-Doo SD6545 VS Supercharged Sea Scooter, which sounded pretty good. I went to the Sea-Doo website to find more on the scooter, but that left me with some questions. This is what I read...

• Model SD6545: run time about 1.5 hours
• The battery takes 8 hours to recharge
• The scooter has a built-in low voltage cut out feature. When the battery is discharged to a certain low voltage level, the built-in controller will cut off the battery power. For a fully charged battery on the SD6545, the cut out time is around 1 hr. When the battery power is cut, the user has to recharge the battery.

What I am getting from this is that the scooter has the capacity to run for about 1.5 hours, but will be cut off short of that at about 1 hour. It seems like you are getting only 1 hour of use for 8 hours of charging. Is that what you are finding out? Since I bet the scooter has to be charged at home with an electrical outlet (not your car), you pretty much have only 1 hour of use in your day of diving. I have to admit that this scooter looks extremely tempting, but is 1 hour of use worth it? Can anyone make comment on the info that I found there?
Sea-Doo - FAQ: http://www.seadooseascooter.com/faq.html Sea-Doo website: http://www.seadooseascooter.com/vsplus.html

What do you do with the scooter if you want to stop and let it go to free your hands up to do something else, like take a picture or shoot a fish. Do you tether it to yourself, if the water isn't clear enough to easily keep it in your sight? If so, isn't it a little bulky for that?

If the scooter dies during your dive, is it very difficult to tow it with you, kicking?

Last questions, I promise...

If you own a scotter is there anything in particular that made you decide to purchase this specific scooter? Would you do something different knowing what you know now?

I've been diving for 35 years, mostly off the beach and recently off a small boat. I've come to realize that it's time to do a little less kicking and that a sea scooter might be a pretty nice thing to have. Thanks for your help with all my questions. I really appreciate your comments.

- Julie (Orange, CA)

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.