diver.net

Re: underwater sea scooters

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Divebum Don on December 09, 2010 at 20:07:08:

In Reply to: underwater sea scooters posted by Julie Maurer on December 09, 2010 at 00:29:14:

There are a few folks here who LOVE their High End DPV's (Diver Propulsion Vehicles/Scooters). Some cost more than my old truck ;~)

We got a Sea-Doo Econo scooter a couple years ago for the Boss's kids when we got'em scuba certified. It was mostly a pool toy, but I took it out in open water a few times. It hauls a diver in full gear fine (NOT dressed out in Drysuit,Tech gear and Deco bottles ;~)

It takes overnight to charge up proper. It gets about an hour of dive time. High end DPV's attach to your web gear. I simply tethered the Sea Doo with a coil style wrist attachment and hanged on with hands. The nose cone has a compartment (for ballast?)I put about a 1.75 Lb. ankle weight in and it was just about neutrally buoyant. You can "unhand" it to poke around or take a Pic.

It's a fun toy and of good quality, these are an entry level DPV, keep the battery compartment dry with careful o-ring maintenance. I also enjoy free diving with the "scoot", if you're just exploring, you can cover some good ground.

...and my motto is "never take a scooter anywhere your not willing to swim it home from".

Be Safe Out There!

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.