diver.net

Re: Re: F&G Commission passes South Coast MPAs

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Kurtis on December 15, 2010 at 19:15:07:

In Reply to: Re: F&G Commission passes South Coast MPAs posted by SoBay Jim on December 15, 2010 at 18:20:32:

I had discussions two weeks ago with DF&G staff about the no-anchor provisions in the quarry area. Because the manager of the SMCA can give permission to anchor in an area, I have been assured that that exemption will be automatically granted to anyone anchoring in that area. (NOTE: This does NOT mean you can anchor in the current Wrigley Reserve. This ONLY applies to the "new" area in the SMCA.) It doesn't mean you have to ask ahead of time, it essentially means that no-anchoring won't be enforced.

That's the short-term fix. Staff says they'll work on cleaning up the regulatory language so that we won't have to play the "exemption" game for (hopefully) too long.

As for Farnsworth, the BRTF started with a no-anchoring provision to be followed by a feasibility study for moorings. I objected strongly and they agreed to reverse it, and passed a resolution directing DF&G to conduct a feasibility study about moorings at Farnsworth and IF they could be installed, once they were IN place, Farnsworth would become a no-anchor zone.

- Ken
------------------------
Ken Kurtis
Member - Statewide Interests Group (SIG)
Marine Life Protection Act Initiative (MLPAI)

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to