diver.net

Got in a dive before we needed a refresher course

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on January 01, 2011 at 16:11:00:

Three weeks out of the water is too long. Despite the recent rains and wind, we decided to force the issue and look for diveable water. We motored around to White Point Rock but the current was ripping. Merry suggested the Marineland platform. By now I didn't have much hope of getting in a dive, but we had a day of surprises ahead.

The water was calm at Marineland and the top fifty feet was clear. I could easily see twenty-five feet down the line as we descended. The visibility closed in to ten feet as we neared the platform, but that is usually enough for macro photography. I tried out a different setting on my camera today, so none of the nudibranchs came out. I can hear Patrick Smith cheering as I type.
Schools of mackerel raced by as a sea lion chased after them. I tried for some wide angle shots, but these were the best I could get.
The platform was a floating dock similar to the ones used by fuel docks.

As we headed home, a Gray Whale surfaced about fifty feet in front of us. He dived and surfaced three times, all in the same area. I guess he really enjoys the reefs here as much as I do.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to