diver.net

Mating Gray Whales at Pt. Fermin

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on February 12, 2011 at 21:36:57:

We were on our way to dive the African Queen off Long Beach when we spotted a lot of blows and splashes off Pt. Fermin. I thought it might be another feeding frenzy, but as we appraoched we found at least four Gray whales mating. They would spalsh, roll over, dive and then surface near our boat. One even raised its head to look at us. We spent a long time with them, then called the whale watch boats to let them know.
The African Queen looked deserted with most of the nets rolled up and bound. The Ocean Defenders Alliance will be out there tomorrow to remove the nets. We didn't find the lone wolfeel, but I had camera issues so I wouldn't have gotten a shot anyway.
After fueling the boat in Los Angeles Harbor where gas is $1.14 cheaper that the fuel dock in King Harbor, we headed for the Marineland platform. It took me awhile to locate it. My GPS told me I was on the spot but I didn't see it on my fishfinder. After dropping down, I knew why. It's been moved again!
There is a new net covering what we could see of the platform in the five feet of visibility. Dead fish and squid were wrapped in the net, and dozens of live squid were trapped near the top of the net. Merry pulled out her shears and cut an opening in the net. The squid swam out and disappeared.
It appears that the squid boat which lost its net tried to pull it free. It must have lifted a corner of the platform and swung it around. There are huge channels in the sand where the platform used to sit. It is now 79 feet from its last location, according to my GPS.

Dead squid in the net

Squid about to be freed

Mating whales video

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the